I've been keeping this news under wraps for a week now because I needed time to let it sink in, but I can't keep the secret any longer!
Last week, I saw on caller ID for my Tiny Tales 800 number that someone from Target Corporation called. No voicemail was left. I assumed someone had called the number by mistake from in a store. Then I received a message via my website from someone with a target.com email address, asking for my email address to send a message about "an exciting opportunity" with some attachments. I sent my email to her, and a few minutes later I received the email that I still can't believe.
Target wants to sell Tiny Tales! They started a parent inventors program 2 years ago, and they asked me to participate. They run it a few times a year, and each time they invite about 15 "parent inventors" to sell in Target stores for a 12 week trial period. All the products are put on an end cap together in 250-300 stores and on target.com. Depending on how sales are, different things can happen after the 12 weeks: you are either put in the aisle, expanded to more stores, taken out of stores but kept on target.com, or dropped altogether.
I have made contact with some of the women from previous rounds, and they all say it is for real and a life changing experience. I find out more details in a few weeks when we will discuss sale price, commits (I guess in the business that means how much they will commit to buying), and more details. If we can work out those details, then Tiny Tales will be on store shelves in early 2009.
I'll keep you posted as I learn more.