May 24, 2009

Estes Park vacation, day 1

Everyone was up by 7 except for Jonah, and I finally went in to wake him up at 8:30. We left town around 9:30 after stops at the library for reading material (a thinly veiled effort to keep Trey from talking the whole way), the post office to drop off some Tiny Tales orders, and McDs for breakfast for me.

We were able to check into our cabin early, which was nice. The cabin is exactly like I pictured it - and spotless! We can hear the raging river from inside. I wish the river was a bit calmer so we could wade in it, but this time of year there is so much runoff from the mountains. I tried to put jonah down for a nap, but even though it was 12:30 he wasn't having it. So we went into town to find something to eat.

After lunch the boys took naps. When trey woke up about 5 we headed back into town for some fun at Fun City! Trey and I slid down a huge slide and we played a round of mini golf. It was trey's first time. I was a little worried he would lose interest or throw the ball around, but he was SO into it! And surprisingly good! At each hole he would "show us how to hit it" and putt from just a few feet from the whole. Jonah was content in his stroller rolling along from hole to hole. I beat joe by 5 (sorry just had to throw that in).

We had a mexican food dinner then back to the cabin around 8. Jonah went right to bed, and trey and joe went to the fire pit to make s'mores. Trey had a great time helping joe with the fire! Such a little helper, bringing sticks and pine needles. Luckily they had enough time to eat several before it started to downpour.

Both boys slept all night. If the weather holds today we are going to Rocky Mtn National Park for a hike and joe will try to get some fly fishing in.